What to Expect When You Attend HCRI Therapy
You will arrive in Roanoke on the Sunday before your first day of treatment and stay in one of three comfortable, moderately-priced hotels that are within walking distance. A list of area accommodations will be sent to you after you apply. Then, you can make reservations at the hotel of your choice.
For 12 consecutive days, you will arrive at HCRI in time to begin at 8 a.m. and work intensively until 4:30 p.m. or later. You will have breaks during the day to recharge and also have ample time to enjoy lunch off site. Soft drinks, coffee and tea are provided during the day.
You will experience a strikingly different approach to treatment that requires commitment to the therapy process. Yet, you will never be asked to do anything you can’t do. Rather, you'll learn how to make fluency happen consistently by retraining your speech muscles through HCRI's systematic approach, which is grounded on the principles of nature and science.
You will participate along with a small group of people who stutter that will range in age and come from all areas of the country. On the first day of therapy, you will quickly feel at home at HCRI and with your fellow program participants. You’ll interact with these individuals throughout each day and will likely feel a close bond with these individuals by the end of your program. Many life-long friendships are made at HCRI.
Expert HCRI clinicians will guide you through each step on your path to fluency. Our team is exceptionally trained and knows precisley what works (and what doesn’t) to help you achieve fluency. This knowledge is based on our successfully tested methods and experience with thousands of cases.
Your therapy will take place in a clinical setting, as well as in real-world environments like shopping malls and restaurants.
You will have the opportunity to hone your fluency skills by working with computers and other advanced electronics created at HCRI.
With each day, you will develop a growing sense that you command the skills to make fluency happen at will.
- By the end of your HCRI program, you will feel more independent, confident and ready to take on life’s challenges. You will have all the tools you need to practice and maintain robust fluency. Plus, you’ll benefit from a full array of post-therapy support from HCRI to help ensure your long-term success. This includes reaching out to HCRI clinicians by phone anytime you need fluency coaching or support.
Advice for Incoming Stuttering Therapy Participants
From Clients Completing Treatment
Following are insights provided by HCRI therapy program participants who recently completed their 12-day intensive treatment program at the Institute’s treatment center in Roanoke, Virginia. Their advice is geared toward individuals who are just starting their fluency training at HCRI.
- Leave the past behind. We all have a new life in front of us. We all have the ability to move forward. This is going to change your life forever….No one is worth it more than you…Believe in the program and in yourself, this will lead to a lifetime of success.
- We may not choose to stutter but we choose to be fluent. Realize the choice and invest in yourself.
- Take these 12 days to disconnect from the rest of your life and focus on the one aspect that has troubled you for so long. It will take 100% of your effort but….you are 1 step closer to commanding your fluency.
- We didn't say it was going to be easy. We said it's going to be worth it.
- You have already made the effort to change your life by coming down here, that right there shows so much in yourself. Don’t give up you can change your life.
- The journey to fluency may not be easy but there is light at the end of the tunnel. That light is called fluency!
- Focus on where you are now going, the possibilities ahead of you, not where you have been.
- This can be a turning point in your life. For me I know it will be because I will practice as much as the clinicians tell me. If you make the same wise choice, you will be limitless.
- This program works, I know. I was once where you are. I beat stuttering and here's what it takes: Practice-Patience-Perseverance-Payoff!