Hollins Communications Research Institute (HCRI) conducts 12-day intensive stuttering therapy programs throughout the year to help people overcome stuttering conditions that range from mild to severe. The center’s unique treatment approach is systematic, quality-controlled, and results-driven.
Specially trained clinicians work one-on-one with stuttering therapy participants to help each individual acquire new ways of using speech muscles to generate fluent speech. Each participant benefits from expert clinical guidance, advanced therapy technology, fluency training in real-world environments, and ongoing support once they return home.
By the end of treatment, research shows that 93 percent of participants achieve fluency. Seventy to 75 percent maintain fluent speech for the long term.
The change in speaking ability and confidence among participants from the first day of HCRI stuttering therapy to the last is dramatic. Consider the answers to these questions from four people (Mario T., Justin R., Gillian E. and Jason M.) who participated in a recent 12-day HCRI stuttering therapy program.
DAY 1 of HCRI THERAPY
How does stuttering affect you?
- “It holds me back from doing things I like to do. Stuttering puts a dent in my confidence.”
- “Stuttering influences my life in the military and hinders me from what I want to say.”
- “Stuttering keeps me from moving up in my company. It also affects my daily life and causes stress.”
- “Stuttering slows me down at work and I’m not outgoing socially. In addition, my wife has to order for me when we go out.”
How would your life be different if you could control your stuttering?
- “My life would be much simpler. It’s just hard to say what I want to say.”
- “It would be a huge stress reliever not to stutter. I would be in the public a lot more, moving up a lot more in my company, and able to achieve my goals and dreams that I’ve had for a very long time.”
- “I like to talk a lot but I try not to talk because I don’t want to make a fool of myself. If I could talk normally, I would participate more in school and go out with friends. I would raise my hand more often in class because I usually know the answer but I’m afraid I’ll mess up.”
- “I would have a lot more confidence if I didn’t stutter. I wouldn’t have to worry about my speech so much and I could focus on other things.”
DAY 12 of HCRI THERAPY
How will things be different now that you can control your stuttering?
- “I can go out. I can be more independent. I don’t have to worry about my wife ordering things for me. I can make phone calls. I can just achieve more.”
- “I believe that I will get the job that I am applying for. I will be able to socialize more in public, I just feel a lot happier now.”
- “Now that I have some great techniques that will enable me to control my speech, I will be more able to speak in public situations and public settings.”
- “I’m going to join clubs and go back to church. I stopped because I didn’t want to meet new kids or get called on and have to talk.”
What would you tell others about HCRI stuttering therapy?
- “If you are sick and tired of stuttering, then invest in yourself and come to HCRI.”
- “Don’t stop and don’t give up. I feel great. I feel that I have taken so many steps forward with HCRI.”
- “If you are considering HCRI, you should come. You gain more confidence and you talk fluently at the end of the program.”
- “Try HCRI. I’ve achieved things here that I never thought I would achieve. It’s very worth it.”
For information about HCRI therapy, click here: Hollins Fluency System II – Advanced Speech Reconstruction for Stuttering™.